March 27, 2010

What's the Big Idea?


I have this idea for a YA fantasy...

...and it scares the crap out of me.

I don't know if it's just me or if this has happened to other writers, but I like my idea A LOT. I feel like this idea can bring my writing to a whole new level and push me out of my comfort zone.

It's in a setting I'm familiar with and a ton of characters I can't wait to get to know. Also, this is the most important aspect for me, it's all about Filipinos. Yeah! I love my culture and I guess I've been writing about other nationalities way too much. Since it's set in my native country and features the people I love, I think this story--whatever it'll turn out to be--is going to have more heart.

That's why I'm scared of writing it. I don't want to screw it up.

I guess I don't have enough faith in myself as a writer YET (I'm trying to be positive by thinking of yet as the operative word). So, to convince myself that I can handle my BIG IDEA and hopefully to convince other writers as well, I made this list:

Remind yourself that you're a fabulous writer.
You are! Just believe it. :)

Remind yourself why you HAVE and LOVE to write.
Why do you write? It's not likely that you'll get rich by writing (only a few have manage to do that) but you love it anyway. So, profit is definitely not your main motivation. You want to be heard and the only way to achieve that is by...

Just start that novel/short story/whatever the hell it is already!
Just type the first sentence that comes into your mind. You can always change it later. What's important is that you've started. Now, all you have to do is finish it.

What about you? Have you ever been intimidated by A BIG IDEA?

3 comments :

Bethanne said...

Oh yes! It is intimidating! I wrote a WWII story that I still haven't quite finished. But it's scary to maybe get it wrong... I wasn't there. How do I know, right? :D

Hey! I visited the Philippines 15 years ago. I have family there. I think it's a wonderful setting and knowing it, you could really dive into the good and the bad about it. Good luck and happy writing.
Bethanne [thanks for visiting my blog]

Anonymous said...

I think those books of your heart are always scary because you aren't sure if you can actually stick your hand in and pull out your heart and lungs and the other neccesary body parts required to do it. Digging deep is terrifying.

Jessica Ann Hill said...

There have been two big ideas that I've been intimidated by. One because of the amount of research required to write the story realistically, and I was afraid of not being able to make it feel real. I still haven't started working on that idea. The other is the idea that I'm currently working on, a YA fantasy. It's completely out of my comfort zone, and I LOVE the idea, so it really makes me nervous that I won't write it well. It's been tough for me to get started on it, but I'll keep working at it.

Good luck with your story!