June 02, 2010

Backing Up Files


(via deviantart)

I've come across a ton of blogs during my brief stint as a blogger. Most of the entries tackle topics about the craft itself like characterization, plot, and even purple prose. However, once in a while, I encounter a blog post about the importance of backing up files.

Yes, of course, every writer should consider having multiple copies of manuscripts a golden rule. I believed it, too. I memorized it, even.

It just never occurred to me that my computer would crash less than a month later. Only then did I realize the importance of so-called back ups.

See, I've been working on my fifth romance novel for about three months. I usually finish one every month, but this novel was harder to write. It was the first time I ever tried to incorporate research into my writing. Before, I just went and made things up. I had to make sure that I got every little detail right this time, because I was writing about an actual place.

So, three months of hard work on a manuscript...

Then, my computer crashed.

I would've freaked out if I didn't have a back up copy. I got my computer fixed and breathed a giant sigh of relief.

I ended up asking myself: What if I lost the entire manuscript?

No comments :