June 12, 2010

Books, Books, and More Books

After summer classes ended, I had an entire week to myself and I used it to at least diminish the books on my to-be-read pile.

The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan



To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to reading this series. Yes, I was intrigued by the premise since the series revolves around the Greek gods and modern-day demi-gods. However, I saw the movie (Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief) first, and it was really predictable. I could tell who the villain was halfway through the movie, but the books were totally different.

All five books in the series were action-packed, funny, and suspenseful. Percy Jackson is also a very likable character, and so are his friends, especially Grover and Annabeth. They all go through the same issues that kids today experience, like growing up with one parent or feeling like an outsider.

I also liked how the gods were portrayed. Riordan managed to stay true to the thousand-year-old myths while managing to make his take fresh.

The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare


"...Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
Jace said, "Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself."
..."At least," she said, "you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland."
Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting."
— Cassandra Clare (City of Bones)

"I am a man" he told her,"and men do not consume pink beverages. Get thee gone woman, and bring me something brown"-Jace Wayland"
— Cassandra Clare (City of Glass)

I heard a lot of good things about this series before actually reading it. When I finally started on the first book, I wasn't disappointed. Cassandra Clare created a fabulous world I'd love to escape to, especially since it's filled with hot Shadowhunters--humans with angel blood who were created to rid the earth of demons.

This series has a lot of surprises in store for the reader. It twisted my emotions and it twisted it some more until I couldn't stop reading. It makes you hope, smashes said hope, and makes you start hoping again. Basically, the Mortal Instruments series is an awesome rollercoaster ride, one I enjoyed immensely.

The thing I liked most about this series was the romance between Clary and Jace, the two main characters. Once you start reading, I think you'll understand why.

I'm really looking forward to reading the fourth book in the series.

4 comments :

Stina said...

Um, there is no fourth book in the series. CITY OF GLASS is the final one. The book due out in August is from a new series. ;)

Camryn said...

Actually, there is. It's called the City of Fallen Angels and will focus mainly on Simon. It's going to be released next year. :)

Stina said...

Ah, I never counted that as part of the series because it's Simon's story. However, if Clary and Jace play a big role in the story then I'll check it out. It was the Clary/Jace romance that kept me glued to the series. ;)

Natalie said...

I loved the Percy Jackson series. I haven't seen the movie, but I can imagine that it would be hard to translate the witty freshness of the stories to the big screen.