November 26, 2009

Booking Through Thursdays (1)


What books and authors are you particularly thankful for this year?


Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog - There are very few books that can make me cry, and this one wrenched tears out of me. I know, that sounds completely cheesy. Haha. The ending of this book was just heartbreaking yet fitting at the same time.

Waiting to Exhale by Terry McMillan - This book tells the story of four single black women in the 90s, and I enjoyed reading every page. All the characters were so real, and you couldn't help but relate to one of the women at one time or another.

“The ones that are good for us, we find dull and boring, and then we pick the assholes, the ones who won’t cooperate, the ones who offer us the most challenge and get our blood flowing and shit. Those are the m********kers we fall in love with.”
- Waiting to Exhale, pg 324.

When It Happens by Susane Colasanti - This YA book just reached out to me. It's told from the points-of-view of two different characters (male and female), and I simply connected to both of them. This is the first YA novel without fantasy elements that I thoroughly enjoyed.

White Oleander by Janet Fitch - This novel (which was also made into a movie) was simply beautiful. The prose is a lot like poetry and it conjures up beautiful images in the mind of the reader. The characters are also gripping and real. This is one book I'll read over and over.

"In a perverse way, I was glad for the stitches, glad it would show, that there would be scars. What was the point in just being hurt on the inside? It should bloody well show."
— Janet Fitch (White Oleander)

What books are you thankful for this year? :)

15 comments :

novelinsights said...

White Oleander sounds like a good one. Great quotation.

MarceJ said...

I lol about Waiting to Exhale, great movie.

I also want to read and watch White Oleander.

Here is mine
http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2009/11/booking-through-thankful-thursday.html

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

I haven't hear of these.
Happy Thanksgiving. Here is mine

Jennifer G. said...

I like that you included some quotes with your choices. And they were great quotes! I'll have to check out those books.

Brianne said...

I like all your picks, but I especially love When it Happens. That one would definitely be on my Thankful list. :)

Jazz R.J. said...

These books all sound great. I love White Oleander too. Janet Fitch's writing style is so beautiful.

On a side note I'm giving you the Honest Scrap Award.

http://aboutbooksblog.blogspot.com/2009/12/honest-blog-award.html

Keep it shiny!

miss cindy :) said...

There's an award waiting for you at my blog :)

Elle said...

I have to agree with When It Happens by Susane Colasanti. ;) She is a brilliant writer! I haven't heard of the other books. Are they THAT good? :D

Cindy said...

Just wanted to let you know I am now a follower of your blog!
Cindy
princessbookie.com

Zanah said...

Great book suggestions... thx for sharing!! :) Mon Mode Blog

piping said...

great outfit, gina! too bad u can't make it to the blogger meet up, really hope can meet u again soon :)

*smooch

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Book Lovers Delight said...

I am so thankful for stumbling upon Wake by Lisa McMann. I plan to finish the series. I think there are only 3 books. Still I can't wait to see what happens at the very end!

Book Lovers Delight said...

Congratulations! Book Lovers Delight has an award for you!