November 18, 2009

Review: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Release Date: 2009
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

Review:
I can only think of one word to describe Hush, Hush: Sizzle.

It sizzled with mystery, romance, and, last but not the least, Patch. I think it's safe to assume he's the fallen angel on the spectacular cover. Also, it's quite safe to state that he's ten times sexier than Edward Cullen.

Okay, I have to stop gushing about Patch and get to the review. This book gripped me as soon as I started reading. When you finish the prologue, you already have a ton of questions in your head. It also has everything I look for in a novel. A super-hot hero? Check! A mystery that sucks you in? Check! An ending that answers most questions yet leaves you wanting more? Check!

And the heroine? I'm not so sure about Nora Grey yet. She's supposed to be this brilliant straight-A student, but some of her choices seemed rather, well, stupid. But I guess that's the whole point of being a damsel in distress. If you're not in trouble, then the hot fallen angel won't be able to rescue you.

Speaking of the hot fallen angel, I like how the relationship between Patch and Nora developed. We really see how they begin to like each other. It didn't feel forced or rushed.

As much as I liked Hush, Hush, there was one thing that irked me about it until I wanted to hurl it against the wall, namely Nora's best friend Vee Sky. How do I even begin to describe her? She pissed me off practically every time she showed up. She's self-centered and cares more about hot guys than her best friend. There's a scene in the book where Nora gets harassed by a guy, and it feels like Vee takes the guy's side. I wanted to slap her. I mean, if somebody harassed me, my best friend would go ape on his ass in a minimum of five seconds.

Also, I don't think the blurb on the back cover really captured the essence of the book. Hush, Hush is a great book, but the back cover sets the readers up for different expectations. It makes you think that the book is about a battle between immortals and the fallen when the focus is really on Patch and Nora.

Rating: 9 out of 10

Extra Thoughts:
Is it just me or does Hush, Hush need to be made into a movie? I swear, some Hollywood producer needs to snag the movie rights soon.

8 comments :

oO Mariana Oo said...

Great Review, Ive just finished it and I really liked it, is a great book. An of course it should be made into a movie!!!

Nice blog, Im following you ;)

Amy said...

I'm def in the minority on this one, but glad you like it! This is one of those rare cases where the movie might actually even be better than the book...
Great review! :-D
-AMY

austenfan said...

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed with Hush, Hush (after reading so many mad-for-it reviews). I still liked it, but not as much as I'd expected to. I'm hoping Crescendo will turn out better! :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Book Lovers Delight said...

Loved the review on Hush, Hush! Now I have to go read it! Thanks for the tidbits.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.